A little bit about me...

We are here to make your stay a pleasant one. Please read this forum for rules and announcements.

A little bit about me...

Postby Michael Jay on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:07 am

Hi folks! I've already started posting in your forums, so this intro is just a bit late. Still, I think that it's incumbent upon me to let you all know a little bit about my background.

I live in Toledo, Ohio (I can almost spit on Canada from my house, so I'm a northern boy - even as I type this, we have snow piled up 3 feet deep outside in the spot that I throw it out of the driveway...And I'm a good northern boy i.e. I like the cold weather and much prefer it over the heat). I've lived here all my life.

I've been practicing and performing magic in one way or another for 45 years. I say '45 years' but it might only be 44 because I'm not sure if I started when I was 5 or 6. It has been far too long ago to remember, specifically. I started out as we all do as an amateur. When I was in my early teens I was performing semi-professionally and by 20 I was full pro. A couple of incidents here in Toledo made me decide to quit magic, which I did for, about, 5 years (other than the basic card trick here and there for nephews and nieces and so forth). In my late 20s I was doing semi-pro work again and ultimately went back to full time pro for 4 years. Now, at 50 years old, I consider myself an amateur magician and I like it this way.

I enjoy magic in all of its forms, from close-up to stand-up/cabaret to stage (and even mentalism). I personally prefer simple and straight forward methods over sleight-heavy tricks, but to each their own.

Health issues these days keep me from pursuing labor intensive jobs, so I make my living writing (ghost writing, mainly, but also editing and producing PDFs for various companies). I only write under my own name in the magic industry and on my blog (my blog has nothing whatsoever to do with magic). I edit and produce a magic e-zine which is a labor of love and is published only intermittently.

If you have any questions, please ask them. I don't even mind questions of a personal nature, so ask away.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Mike.
Check out Top Hat on FaceBook for new and past issues.
Michael Jay

Re: A little bit about me...

Postby lin on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Mike,

Welcome! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the introduction. It's nice to "meet" you.

I'm in CA. Tee shirt weather again today... wish you guys would share some of that precip.

This board is quieter than it used to be, but I don't know where you'll find more thoughtful posters than here. And there's great stuff in the archives.
lin
Imp

Postby davidparr on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks for joining us, Michael, and for giving us a bit of insight into your history. And you too should feel free to ask any questions you'd like.
davidparr
Pastor of Muppets

Postby Michael Jay on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:23 am

Thank you for the welcome, guys! I've been enjoying looking back into the old threads - there's so much info! I'm pleased that my latest project has brought me to this forum and I look forward to being a regular posting member.

Mike.
Michael Jay

Postby RobMagus on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:41 am

Hiya Michael--fancy seeing you here!
RobMagus

Postby Michael Jay on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 am

Heh! Yep.

I came upon this site via Google when I was looking to find articles for our upcoming Top Hat issue. We don't have all that many bizarrists on that site, so I've been trying to get as creative as I can in drumming up writers.

After looking through the all of the past threads and posts on this site, I just kinda fell in love with it! This is really a good place to be and I'm enjoying my time here.

Mike.
Michael Jay

Postby davidparr on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:46 am

Thanks, Michael!
davidparr
Pastor of Muppets

Return to Concierge