IMPORTANT MESSAGE: The Future of This Site

We are here to make your stay a pleasant one. Please read this forum for rules and announcements.

Re: IMPORTANT MESSAGE: The Future of This Site

Postby misjief on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:40 am

HI guys...

I didn't catch wind of this post till after I rejoined...

I used to be very active at exomagic.com but it died =( . I have since been busy building props like crazy ... Cheap hobby!
I'd like to use you guys as a muse as to WHAT to build and HOW to use and apply it once made.

Because of the holiday I had a lot of time on my hands which is unusual... also because of the holiday I don't have a lot of cash to spend. So it is serious project time!

I hope you don't peter out and die out on me, as I'd really like to make a go at doing SOMETHING in the magic world. Also if I bore you let me know!

Dave! If I am not working on a project, I am in the dojo working towards getting my health back and maybe a black belt in Goju Ryu!! Wahoo!

-misj-
misjief

Postby Naljorpa on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Ah-ha! Another magician/martial artist!
Author of The Holy Art: Bizarre Magick from Naljorpa's Cave
ONE OF THE TASSELS ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
"Obviously you don't know who I think I am."
Naljorpa
Order of the Gorgon

Postby misjief on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:23 am

LOL

Is there a lot of warlord magi here then?

I have a crippling handicap and the martial arts actually tends to reverse its effects and grip on me so I have to keep at. People see me with black eyes and busted knuckles and ask me why I do it. But at least this way I get to choose my pain and it makes me stronger not weaker. I love it.

That and magic are my main addictions...

-misj-
misjief

Postby Naljorpa on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:14 am

I apologize for not responding sooner. Yes, an interest in bizarre magic and the martial arts seem to go together, strange as it seems. Maybe it is just us that are strange. I am a longtime Shotokan karateka, so it is nice to meet you here. I haven't been here much lately as I have become somewhat discouraged because I no longer perform. I have largely turned to other interests (karate being one, although I am getting a bit old for that, too). I am still here on the forum, but I don't have a lot to contribute right now. Things have slowed down even here, it seems, which is a shame. This has always been a great place since its inception to share ideas and thoughts and I would hate to see it go away. The inhabitants of this weird world within a world within the world are all great people. Missing here are all the self-absorbed, low-down jackasses to be found elsewhere.
Author of The Holy Art: Bizarre Magick from Naljorpa's Cave
ONE OF THE TASSELS ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
"Obviously you don't know who I think I am."
Naljorpa
Order of the Gorgon

Postby magus on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:36 am

Naljorpa wrote:I apologize for not responding sooner. Yes, an interest in bizarre magic and the martial arts seem to go together, strange as it seems. Maybe it is just us that are strange. I am a long-time Shotokan karateka, so it is nice to meet you here. I haven't been here much lately as I have become somewhat discouraged because I no longer perform. I have largely turned to other interests (karate being one, although I am getting a bit old for that, too). I am still here on the forum, but I don't have a lot to contribute right now. Things have slowed down even here, it seems, which is a shame. This has always been a great place since its inception to share ideas and thoughts and I would hate to see it go away. The inhabitants of this weird world within a world within the world are all great people. Missing here are all the self-absorbed, low-down jackasses to be found elsewhere.

Yup, A little Judo in Jr High, a very little bit of Kung-fu, and several years of Tang Soo Do here (But it's been years)
As to the last sentence, I saw a quote on facebook a couple of weeks ago.
"They say that when you lose one sense, the other senses compensate for it. That must be why people with no sense of humor have such an inflated sense of importance"
A Wish For Wings That Work
magus
naughty monkey

Postby unknown.kadath on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:30 am

Hello - I am not a fan of Facebook and prefer these forums! I finally have my email situation fixed & logged on successfully :) Thank you for approving it right away.
unknown.kadath

Postby davidparr on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:45 pm

No prob, unknown.kadath. Thanks for joining us.
davidparr
Pastor of Muppets

Postby Mystician on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:41 pm

misjief wrote:LOL

Is there a lot of warlord magi here then?

-misj-

Yep.. well, I used to be into it. I started Kempo and Shotokan (mostly Kempo) when I was 12, I had just got my third belt when my parents felt I was so consumed with an obsession of martial arts (Bruce Lee was my first hero ever) that they made me quit, claiming my school work was suffering, which was just wrong. I was even paying for all of it myself with a paper route. Way to kill a kid's dream and self-motivation. I never went back to it.
Now my other obsession (the biggest one actually) is music. They sorta tried to rein that in too, but like hell I was giving that up. I guess they wanted an accountant or something.
Human flesh: the other other white meat
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Nunc Id Vides, Nunc Ne Vides
Mystician
Mage

Postby rickmagic1 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:56 pm

If all forums were bars, this is like the neighborhood pub you can always count on for friends and great conversation...rather than the corporate owned place that gives people what they "think" they want.

I just wonder: who is our "Norm"?
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
rickmagic1

Postby davidparr on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm certainly not norm enough.
davidparr
Pastor of Muppets

Postby Mystician on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Okay, who's wearing the Milkbone underwear?
Human flesh: the other other white meat
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Nunc Id Vides, Nunc Ne Vides
Mystician
Mage

Postby rickmagic1 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:03 am

Not me...but I am 11 feet tall.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
rickmagic1

Postby Nyama Possessor on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:33 am

Despite having been a bizarrist for 18 years now (albeit somewhat of a reclusive one), I finally joined BizarreMagic.net this year, in thanks to my good brother Balaram, who kindly shepherded me over here from the bog of eternal green stench.

Verily, I am glad that the decision was made to keep this site open, alive, up and running! David has done a most excellent job acting as proprietor, innkeeper, manager and master of Hotel Bizarre! Props to him for his efforts and dead-ication to this site so that we may all enjoy its delightful company, occupants, intimate rooms and suites, and of course too, the continental breakfast is not so bad (I just wish there were more vegan options on the menu) :wink:. Like many of the hotel guests, residents, members and staff here I too have sought refuge within its digital "idea-decorated" walls. In many ways this site has served as a save haven for me, where Bizarrists and Mystery artists, Witches and Vodunsi/Vodunons, Shamans and High Priests/Priestesses, Mizarrists and Prop-Makers, Writers, Travelers, Jounreymen/woman and Curious-Ones, Occultists, Poets, Artists and Sideshow Performers could all gather safely, without having to fear persecution, exclusion, oppression and contempt.

Having been quite nomadic over the years, it is nice to settle down and concentrate on one or two digital locations instead of striving to keep up with a dozen-different sites. I guess each one serves its own purpose in turn, yet I feel most at home and comfortable here. Needless to say, BizarreMagic.net has a permanently designated tab on my browser, and even if not contributing everyday, I do check the site weekly and plan on continuing to use it further as my personal Bizarre headquarters.

I had never considered the martial arts and sciences/bizarre magik connection before, reading some of the above comments... I too am an avid and lifelong practitioner of both arts (magik and martial), having studied and dabbled in Karate, Brazilian Jujitsu, Capoeira, MMA, Street Fighting and Krav Maga. Most of my experience with self-defense and fighting came from the neighborhood I grew up in though, lol. I guess one could look at it as a life skill, coming especially in handy when being attacked by demonic magic clowns, rabid finger-flickers, sponge ball zombies, and gospel magic inquisitors looking to burn bizarre "heretics". :D :D :D

Interestingly in many indigenous cultures and societies, magik is considered a kind of martial art and science... If martial arts is primarily used for self-defense and therefore tactical survival, than why wouldn't a protective amulet, force-field medallion or a charm bag used to keep a traveler safe not also be considered a magikal or spiritual or metaphysical form of the martial arts and sciences, as a form of self-defense?? In some places, when one is without an amulet or a charm bag they are unprotected, vulnerable and susceptible to attack from animals, spirits, witches, nature, the elements, unsatisfied ancestors and spiritual/metaphysical forces or simply misfortune.

In both Afrikan and Asian martial arts one finds a heavy spiritual and magikal component to the whole overall philosophy and practice of self-defense, warfare, fighting and survival, and usually these things are not separate from the everyday lives and activities of its initiates and serious practitioners, whose culture revolves around it, as they live it as a way of life. Furthermore, perhaps for us, Bizarre Magik is too as form of self-defense yet in a much different way... Self-defense from normalcy, puritanism, bad magic and presentation, mere "tricks and gags", and fear of the unknown?? After reading Jim Magus's Unspeakable Acts it seems as though, Tony Andruzzi used it as a form of self-defense as well, using Bizarre Magik to defend himself against those who had lost their imagination, creativity and their power to BELIEVE (in magik)! Just my thoughts...

From under the shade tree,

~ Nyama ~
“Nyama be kuma la”
Nyama Possessor

Postby misjief on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 pm

lol

I find it rather funny now that I look at it ...

I NOW pay to get beat up a couple times a week, when my original incentive was to avoid the idiots who'd do it for free.
I rarely get into scraps now that I know how to fight, which kind of sucks 'cause I'd actually like to see what I am capable of. LOL

I have also noticed that the people who like to fight rarely know how, and those who do know how to fight don't tend to enjoy the violent aspect of it. With my situation I am going to be sore and in pain no matter what... so I choose the path that makes me stronger. The mental aspect of it still messes with me, as I still sometime fall back into the picked on little kid with a big chip on his shoulder and have to rein in my temper. I have yet to hit anyone in anger, but the fact that I sometimes want to so badly bugs me, in spite of how deserving the Duffus is.

Which is why I guess I love magic especially, the mentalism so much... It is just a great big mind screw! No matter what happens you have to be flexible and confident enough to remain in control. The wilder and more unforeseen the situation, the better the result if you can stay on top of it. Both magic and martial arts are a Zen thing! LOL

-misj-

PS- Thanks, dp, for keeping the site open ... I think the age of this post argues that the former crisis is now past. That said I know NOTHING is certain, but it is nice to have a magical place of refuge.
misjief

Postby davidparr on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks, Nyama! This place has really been a home and refuge for me, as well.
davidparr
Pastor of Muppets

PreviousNext

Return to Concierge