Closing time

We are here to make your stay a pleasant one. Please read this forum for rules and announcements.

Closing time

Postby davidparr on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:50 am

Hi, folks. I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I've arrived at the conclusion that it's time to shut down Bizarremagic.net. My attention has been focused on getting my career back on track after the accident (see my appearance on Fool Us for a brief version of that story), and it seems like most folks have migrated to Facebook groups or The Magic Café or have dropped out of the magic scene altogether. On top of that, the site software is so antiquated and glitchy, it's inundated by hundreds of spambot registrations every day and many of the basic functions of site administration no longer work. I've renewed the URL for one more year, so we'll have a until October 22, 2020, to say goodbye.

I'm grateful to everyone who contributed productively to this site. Some great friendships began here and extended out into the real world. Thanks to Dan Mindo for founding the site and to Tracy Atteberry for helping to maintain it.

You might think of this thread as a memorial for Bizarremagic.net. Anyone want to say any words?
davidparr
Pastor of Muppets

Re: Closing time

Postby Michael Jay on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:32 am

I'm terribly sorry to hear this, Dave. I check these forums every day, but, as you point out, they aren't used very often (which is a real shame). I also run a bulletin board, so am very familiar with the loss of traffic to newer social media (like FB), but in my opinion these newer media aren't nearly as good as the bulletin board style.

I think, more than anything, Face Book users are able to start their own page, free of charge, and then just delete anyone who disagrees with their point of view - they become echo chambers (which isn't a good thing, by any standard). By weeding out anyone they disagree with, they think they are happier because everyone becomes 'yes men' and their opinion becomes undisputed. That's my theory, at least.

I've enjoyed this forum, even though it is quiet, and I've spent many hours looking through the past posts. So much knowledge, so much wisdom - this will be a terrible loss.

Here's wishing you all the best in your career, David. Thank you for keeping the forum alive as long as you could.

Mike.
Check out Top Hat on FaceBook for new and past issues.
Michael Jay

Postby Mike Glide on Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:12 am

I would like to say thank you for hosting this. I can't say how greatly it is appreciated. I wish I had contributed half as much as I've been able to receive from the site in the form of feedback and being able to read the archived post of others. It's a shame about the platform becoming antiquated, if it wasn't such a hassle, perhaps it could have quietly endured for a few more years. While I'm unsure what to say about how quite it is here lately, and I believe Mike Jay has a valid point. I would hope at some point those who love the craft and art would want someplace to discuss it. For some time, this was that place. Thanks again, and best wishes in your career David.
Ghosts of the Inland Seas
Mike Glide

Postby Silent on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 am

Thank you David for keeping the forum going for as long as you have.

I have had a ton of fun chatting and learning from the small core group of people here over the years, as sporadic as that sometimes was for me and everyone else :)

So, I was thinking about trying to find a way to archive this place in a readable offline format. Not sure how much of a nightmare that would be since these old forums can be a mess. If I can figure something out I could throw it up on my Dropbox for people to download, as long as it isn't a massive amount of files.
Silent

Postby second thoughts on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 am

uuuuahhh, I was just a bit shocked to have missed the closing and wishing farewell to everyboda I've met here, but the I saw that I have bit time to find the right words. It's 2020, not 2019... so stay tuned
Hope to see you all still a bit here,
thoughts
Human life is a disease, spread by sexual contacts.
second thoughts

Postby Sabrina on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:16 am

This is sad news and I regret my wandering off to other responsibilities. That's so sad to come back to find this.

I'm very happy for you, David. It's wonderful what you are doing!! Big congrats on your Penn & Teller Fool Us win.

If it was possible to keep the candle lit here or anywhere besides FB, I'd be all for that.
Magick happens in the mind and effects are merely tools to enable it.
Sabrina

Return to Concierge